When it comes to finding the right consultant for your business, it's important to consider the qualities that make a great one. A truly experienced consultant should have in-depth knowledge in their specialty that is easily evident. They should have carried out dozens of projects for a variety of clients, and taken (or directed) classes and seminars to stay up-to-date on their area of expertise. If you're just starting out as a consultant or considering it as a career path, think about how you can develop the following qualities that will help you go from being a good consultant to an excellent one.
Although having a golden resume is important, there are other qualities that top performers adopt that are even more essential. More than ten years ago I founded an agency that represents rock star consultants, and since then I have been compiling a list of qualities that make a great consultant. Here are some of the most important ones:
- Adaptability: A great consultant is able to quickly adapt to different situations and environments. They should be able to think on their feet and come up with creative solutions to any problem.
- Communication Skills: A great consultant should be able to communicate effectively with clients and colleagues.
They should be able to explain complex concepts in simple terms, and be able to listen and understand the needs of their clients.
- Leadership: A great consultant should be able to lead teams and projects with confidence. They should be able to motivate their team members and ensure that everyone is working towards the same goal.
- Problem-Solving Skills: A great consultant should be able to identify problems quickly and come up with creative solutions. They should be able to think outside the box and come up with innovative ideas.
- Organizational Skills: A great consultant should be organized and efficient. They should be able to manage their time effectively and prioritize tasks accordingly.
If you're looking for someone who can help your business succeed, make sure they possess these qualities.